Friday, September 8 at 10am in room 2203 Rayburn House Office Building. House Education and the Workforce Committee ranking member Bobby Scott (D-Va.) and House Judiciary Committee ranking member John Conyers (D-Mich.) will hold a forum entitled, Affirmative Action, Inclusion and Racial Climate on America’s Campuses this Friday.
The discussion will include University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan, whose campus was the setting of a white supremacist march on the night of August 11. Marchers chanted “you will not replace us” and “Jews will not replace us,” and the Nazi slogan “blood and soil” with lit torches through the main building of UVA.
University of Virginia Black Student Alliance President, Wes Gobar will also testify.
The forum will also feature American University student President Taylor Dumpson, who was the target of racism at American University. Also speaking will be Sherrilyn Ifill, President and of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and Southern Poverty Law Center Executive Director Richard Cohen.
The role of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act in ensuring that students are welcomed to a safe, inclusive learning environment free of harassment and intimidation on the basis of race, color, or national origin will be focused on. As well as issues around:
- Affirmative Action and inclusionary efforts of universities
- Student experiences on campus
- Proactive steps and responses taken by universities to address diversity, inclusion, and racial climate on campus
- Legal requirements of Title VI and how it provides a framework for improving diversity, inclusion, and racial climate on campus
- Policy proposals to improve the application and enforcement of Title VI
- First Amendment and campus environment
- Taylor Dumpson, Student President, American University
- Weston “Wes” Gobar, President, Black Student Alliance, University of Virginia
- Payton Head, Former Student Body President, University of Missouri; Fellow atNational Campus Leadership Council
- Sherrilyn Ifill, President and Director-Counsel, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (Title VI, Affirmative Action)
- Richard Cohen, Executive Director, Southern Poverty Law Center (First Amendment/Data Collection)
- Dr. Benjamin Reese, Vice President of the Office for Institutional Equity at Duke University and Duke University Health System
- Teresa Sullivan, President, University of Virginia
- Roger Worthington, Chief Diversity Officer, University of Maryland