Hey Jameis are you listening? From boom to bust: Ten NFL players who have filed for bankruptcy. According to a 2009 Sports Illustrated article, 78% of NFL players blow it all in only three years after leaving football. When you hear the big salary announcements and see the big cars, it hides another side of the story that doesn’t reveal itself until later.
1. Vince Young — Young was paid $36 million over 6 NFL seasons. He filed for bankruptcy yesterday.
2. Bernie Kosar — Blew millions in a restaurant venture.
3. Mark Brunell — Blew $50 million in failed investments involving restaurants and trusting the wrong people.
4. Michael Vick — Huge legal bills from the dog fighting case led to Vick filing for bankruptcy.
5. Johnny Unitas — Unitas was badly disabled in his later years as a result of playing football and made a string of bad business investments after he retired including a failed restaurant venture.
6. Terrell Owens — Lost $80 million after mishandling his fortune. Claimed he’s had to pay $45K in child support monthly.
7. Warren Sapp — Made $60 million over career. Filed for bankruptcy in 2012. Blew cash on mansions and owes hundreds on thousands in alimony and taxes.
8. Rocket Ismail — Ismail blew millions on bad business ventures including $300,000 into a Hard Rock Cafe that failed.
9. Lawrence Taylor — Taylor spent thousands on a serious drug addiction after his playing days ended.
10. Deuce McAllister — Made $70 million over career, blew NFL fortune on a Nissan car dealership.