Deportations are down, but calls to stop the removals continue

Deportations are down, but calls to stop the removals continue

2399
10
SHARE

Yesterday the government released numbers for deportations for the 2013 fiscal year. For the 2013 fiscal year, the overall number of deportations declined by 10 percent from the previous year to 368,644.

Most of the deportees were arrested as they attempted to enter the country, while about a third were arrested in the interior of the country. The Immigration and Customs Enforcement indicated that nearly 60 percent of those removed had been convicted of a crime, but that leaves about another 40% who were removed without a criminal conviction.

Despite the decline in deportations, activists are still pushing for a moratorium on deportations until some sort of immigration reform can be passed legislatively. This week a Pew Study was published showing that a majority of Hispanics prioritize deportation relief over a pathway to citizenship. Over the weekend, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi spoke out about the pace of deportations calling some of them “totally unjustified.”

10 COMMENTS

  1. Let me see if I have this correct and please correct me if I’m misinformed. Your article above refers to “40 percent were removed without a criminal conviction.” Their mere presence in the United States without going through lawful immigration channels in of itself constitutes a crime! While their actions may be honorable in that they only want to work to support their families, until they go through legal channels to enter this country as have so many of others from other countries, they have committed a crime. Therefore, their deportation is definitely warranted.

    I’m totally amazed at how so many people, both legal citizens and those who are undocumented see absolutely nothing wrong with breaking U.S. immigration laws. Wake up! Regardless of your country of origin, if you enter this country without following the United States federal laws governing immigration, YOU ARE COMMITING A CRIME!

  2. Having read this I believed it was rather informative.I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this short article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and posting comments.
    But so what, it was still worth it!

  3. What i don’t understood is actually how you’re
    no longer really a lot more well-favored than you may be now.
    You are very intelligent. You understand thus
    considerably in relation to this subject, produced me
    for my part believe it from so many numerous angles.
    Its like women and men aren’t fascinated until it’s something to accomplish with Girl gaga!
    Your personal stuffs nice. Always handle it up!

LEAVE A REPLY