Bryan Fischer has been featured on CNN, NBC, CBS News, and the New York Times.
But if you don’t recognize the name, don’t worry. You’re not missing out on much.
Fischer is the Director of Issue Analysis for Government and Public Policy at the American Family Association — an organization that says they “restrain evil by exposing the works of darkness” and was declared a hate group by the nonprofit civil rights organization, Southern Poverty Law Center in 2010.
Despite not holding a degree in political science or journalism, Fischer hosts “Focal Point,” a nationwide radio program where he “provides expertise on a range of public policy topics.”
Last week, Fischer took on the issue of immigration — specifically that from Latin America — and said the country’s problem isn’t with immigration itself but where immigrants are coming from.
“One of the reasons why we had so much immigration for so many decades and it did not fracture the unity of our society is the immigrants coming to our shores were coming from Europe,” he says.
“If we continue to allow immigrants from non European countries, we are going to continue to fray.”
According to Fischer, immigrants from the Southern hemisphere don’t share American’s heritage or values and simply wish to mooch off the government.
“It’s what you grow up with, it’s what you expect. You expect handouts, you expect the safety net that’s provided from the government,” he said.
Someone needs to take this man to Latin America for a week so he can experience these so-called “handouts” for himself.
In his rant against non European immigrants, he doesn’t specify whether he’s only referring to undocumented people or those with citizenship as well.
What Fischer does make clear is that he wrongfully assumes Latino immigrants don’t share “a similar mindset about civilization” with Americans.
Fischer also seems to think that all Latinos come from Mexico and that they will never believe in capitalism because their work ethic isn’t centered on hard work and self-reliance.
Hispanics are “socialists by nature, they come from Mexico which is a socialist country,” he said. “They want big government intervention, they want big government goodies.”
First of all, Latin America is made up of 20 different countries, so no, not all Latinos come from Mexico. Secondly, Mexico does not have a socialist government, it’s a federal constitutional republic. And if you really want to get particular, Mexico’s current leader, Enrique Peña Nieto is considered a political centrist.
As for immigrants not sharing American’s work ethic, here are some facts for you Mr. Fischer:
- According to the Small Business Administration, immigrants are 30 percent more likely to start a business than non-immigrants, and 18 percent of all small business owners in the United States are foreign-born.
- The Fiscal Policy Institute says small businesses owned by immigrants employed an estimated 4.7 million people in 2007 and generate more than $776 billion a year.
- The US Department of Labor found that 7.5 percent of immigrants are self-employed compared to 6.6 percent among those born in the United States.
- The National Venture Capital Association asserts that 25 percent of public US companies backed by venture capital investors, were started by immigrants. (This includes Google, Yahoo!, Ebay and Intel.)
- A study by the University of California at Davis showed that immigration has actually helped boost the earnings of American workers by 0.7 percent and is expected to increase to 1.8 percent over time.
Too add on to insult, Fischer says since America is being flooded with Latino immigrants who vote Democrat, the GOP needs to secure the borders, “clap down on immigration” and “shut that puppy down tight.”
How tight? To the extent it’s been done in North Korea.
“We have proven that we can seal a border, American troops do it everyday on the border between the Koreas. We can do it here,” he said.
Let’s hope no one takes his request seriously.
If Fischer’s ignorance hasn’t been made abundantly clear and you wish to hear the ridiculous rant for yourself. You can watch it here: