The National Urban League applauds Comcast for stepping up to make diversity a top priority of its proposed joint venture with NBC Universal. The company has signed an historic Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the National Urban League, the NAACP and the National Action Network that lays the groundwork for a major expansion of its already impressive leadership in the areas of diversity, inclusion and economic opportunity.
Comcast has made important commitments to diversity in the areas of programming, employment practices, supplier diversity, charitable giving and corporate governance:
- Programming: Comcast and NBC Universal have agreed to make key media ownership and programming investments to increase diversity, including the addition of four new African-American owned and/or operated channels, additional targeted minority programming, and increased minority involvement in news writing and public affairs programming.
- Employment practices: Comcast and NBC Universal have renewed their commitments to hiring a more diverse workforce. They and to investing in minority employees through training and advancement opportunities.
- Supplier diversity: Comcast has pledged to increase the percentage of its business conducted with minority-owned businesses, including African-American advertising and professional-services providers, and to continue its involvement with ongoing procurement inclusion and diversity initiatives.
- Charitable giving: Comcast will continue to make charitable contributions to organizations that work to make a difference in minority communities.
- Corporate governance: To hold itself accountable to “walking the walk,” Comcast has created a Joint Diversity Council made up of representatives of African-American, Hispanic, Asian-American and other diversity groups, which will provide underserved communities a permanent seat at the table – enabling us to voice concerns and make recommendations.
Comcast has done an exemplary job in reaching out to the African American community, and I commend the company for recognizing the importance of investing in and engaging with every American community.
The proposed alliance between Comcast and NBC Universal will provide important opportunities for African Americans. Comcast’s commitments through this new MOU give me great confidence that the Comcast-NBCU joint venture will be a positive force in American society.
Marc Morial is the President and CEO of the National Urban League. He has worn many hats throughout his distinguished 25 year professional career: Entrepreneur. Lawyer. Professor. Legislator. Mayor. President, U.S. Conference of Mayors. CEO of the National Urban League, the nation’s largest civil rights organization. Marc Morial has performed all of these roles with excellence, and is one of the most accomplished servant-leaders in the nation.